Wednesday, July 13, 2011

June 20, 2011 Letter 20!

Hey Girl and Boy-

Well, another week down the drain as Madison would say. That's pretty funny! Well I have lots to tell you and because we are in New York and I have a crazy mission this letter is a little bit rated R. First, your week sounded like alot of fun! I am glad to hear that the monster in the basement is still thriving, but did he check out the lawn mowing room!? Haha...


Lauriann would be utterly jealous that I sat and talked with the senior couple, the Wilyerds. He lived through the Teton Dam Event. His whole house was gone, and his dad was fishing at the time and made it out just in time. Crazy, huh?


That will be nice for Joe to have a break! I can not believe Ky is one years old! I met another baby Kyden out here. Weird I guess. Emily sounds like she is living the life of a stallion and Alex is having bad luck haha. I heard Mitch's date went well.


Well, yes I see TONS of people on vacation, and it's weird because I feel like I am on vacation, well one we have to do like hard work...haha...


I have met people already from all around the world. We had people from Scotland come in this week, we tried to see how long we could get them to talk so we could listen to their accent. I had about 4 families from Boise this last week. We worked at the sites only 4 times. I am getting very very TAN.

I had some good tours, and some fun kid ones and youth. Those are my favorite for sure.


Some teaching appointments: I don't know if I told you about the Wingates. The mom is a member and she is active sometimes. The husband said he wanted nothing to do with it about a year after they got baptized. That was in 2002. We went over to see her, we got her son and his baby momma to the first kid (she has two more-and she is engaged to another man just living with them- awkward I thought they were brother and sister). And then Will, the dad, we got him to sit down and read and he loved it, and we think he will come back to church! But they have a two year old girl who looks like Dakota Fanning, she said- remember she's two: "It's the freakin' missionaries!" Then a few more words came out. It was crazy sad that something so little would just use words like that all the time.

At Lisa's lesson I can't remember if i told you, but her 18 month old son was crawling around and there was just a gun lying on the ground, that's fine.....mhmm..

So FRIDAY was our first day in the area of the week. It started out awful. My companion and I were so annoyed with each other and we could not figure it out. SO we were in bad moods, and then we knew our president knew because he called and said he wanted to meet with us. So we canceled our appointments and set the time aside for him.


Then we went to Cameron and did our service, we got along okay there grant it the elders were with us so that was fun. After, we get a call from President and he cancels on us. So then we bicker a little more and it was honestly like okay we couldn't figure out WHY we were so off. SO then I said, "I need a break- let's go paint the Arabic girls fingernails." SO we went to Myrtle Wood and found them. That was fun- it calmed us both down. I painted DuHu's and Miriam's nails lime green.


Then we had this feeling to go visit our Nigerian less active. We walked over and we knocked on the door. Right as we knocked she started yelling...We didn't understand her. She looked out the window and saw it was us. The yelled, "Wait!" So we did for about 5 mins. She then came to the door and said, "I want to be Muslim now." Welp, I was not expecting that one at all.


We got her to let us in. We talked to her for awhile and (background: she just survived cancer, has kidney failure) and she kept saying, "No one loves me and I could just die tomorrow and no one would care...." I thought she was referring to her health problems. Sister Wilkinson said, "Do you have thoughts of suicide?" And she broke down, she said was mixing the drugs as we knocked. We, through God of course, had just stopped her from committing suicide. We were the only ones that knew anything, and still pretty much the only ones....I took the stuff from her and we got her to read the Book of Mormon with us and pray. She said a great prayer about how thankful she was that we came so she didn't kill herself. We left and called her like 3 times that night. She had planned it out, she had her dad come take the kids so she could do it without them there and her husband was at work.

Then we went and got ice cream for my half birthday. Through all of this though, I realized Heavenly Father MADE us have AN AWFUL NO GOOD VERY BAD DAY; so that we would end up there. It was pretty neat.

So Saturday we worked at the sites again, went to Brother Kies for dinner and had pizza. He is a professional genealogist? He found he brother after 50 years of being lost in the war they thought he had died.....crazy...he was alive and fine!

President met with us on Sunday. Honestly this is great because now I know how important it is to marry someone I love. Sister W. is great but we just have very clashing personalities and with her going home its hard HARD to work. The one thing I just don't get about sister's in this mission is that they don't feel like the sites are missionary work, but it is our main calling! And I love it! SO he talked to us, and helped us solve some things. Sister Wilkinson said I am just so free spirited and probably the most she has ever met, and president got mad because he thinks he is. (like mad! weird....he's great but interesting)..


We went to church and it was ward conference- so long......Then we ate dinner at the Bucks. He is an EX carni (carnival ride worker) and they told us all about the conception of their child. Pretty awkward- and the elders were there....She had sauce all over her face and it was pretty (white trash) but I LOVED it... They were the sweetest people in the world.

Oh yes Saturday on our third dinner appointment, with Brother Robinson (BROB) he had us over for "ward correlation" which turned into a BBQ and our burning. Sister W burned a skirt, I did a pair of knee highs for six months, and the elders did ties for 6 months. I am the same as them! It was so much fun!

SUNDAY night as we were on our way to our investigators we got a call and she was in the hospital for attempted suicide. She bawled for like 30 mins while sister W. talked to her.

Other crazy thing: One of our LA called and said she could not come to church because she had to go to the hospital and see her brother in law who was in ICU. BECAUSE.... his dad snuck in the house that night before and tried to kill him. I live in a crazy place..............................

Oh yes, we ate dinner at a high council man's house. Super good pork chops with a honey mustard glaze. While he was talking I watched his child lick up every single piece of corn. He did not get caught until the last one, so that one was his, we ate the rest. That was rough..ha ha....

And right in the middle of some story, she just blurts out, "Well, when my sister was murdered......." and then just kept going, like that was totally normal...We also ate dinner at the Gardener's (senior couple)- so much fun. I am truly lucky to serve so close with senior couples. I love them a lot, and some of my favorites know the Quayle's. The Colledges: LuAnn taught at the rest home with her?

Last P-day we had a HUGE baseball game. It was so much fun, and I could still play after YEARS. Today we are playing night games in the church ? It should be fun!!

Okay- I think that's everyone, tell everyone hi for me, and thanks for the support!

love,

CLARE

No comments:

Post a Comment